Thursday, August 25, 2011

Buen Camino!

Uncle Wendell and I intended to begin walking in Roncesvalles, but discovered that the timing of our arrival in Madrid and connections to Pamplona would not allow us to catch the daily bus to Roncesvalles that same day. So, instead of wasting a day, we decided to begin in Pamplona, the town that releases bulls to run free through their streets once per year. Fortunately, they got that over with in June.

By the time our train arrived, the pilgrim hostel was full, so we were directed to a pension. It was old and run down, and very simple (the man who showed us the room was careful to artfully arrange the ashtray and TP on a table near the window), but the bed was comfortable and the shower warm. At dinner, we met a German man who is cycling the Camino. He had already crossed Switzerland and France in just over 3 weeks, and is now working his way across Spain. So far, most of the people we´ve met have been Europeans; no Americans.

Today was a hard day - not the best to begin with. We passed over a 790-meter summit topped with wind turbines and a monument to pilgrims, before we stopped for the night in Uterga.

The terrain was steep and arid, and the air hot and dry. We were grateful for the ocassional cool breezes and patches of shade. We passed by fields of sunflowers that had succumbed to draught. We´ve seen practically NO livestock, and wonder if they went the same way. It was slow-going up the mountain, then we picked up speed on the other side.

Wendell asked me what I hope to get out of this pilgrimage. I told him that I´m holding it with open palms (something I learned from my former Spiritual Director; Hola, Zoila, if you´re reading this) - open to the experiences that God will give me, and the lessons God will teach me, allowing myself to be led by God on this path. Part of what I want from this experience is to spend time with my late father´s brother, and to get to know him better. Another part of it is to experience just a small part of what my congregation does in their daily lives - carrying my things with me, relying on the mercy of strangers for my well-being, and never knowing if there will be a bed for me at the end of the day. In no way do I expect to understand what it means to be homeless, as I know that I have a home to return to, and credit cards in my pocket, but perhaps I can glean just a glimpse. Most of all, I am practicing trusting that God will take care of me, and I know that is something that my congregation practices daily. Blessings to all of you at common cathedral.

I look forward to gentler terrain tomorrow. Tonight, we did get beds (in fact, quite satisfactory accomodation) at the ¨Camino del Perdon¨ Albergue y Restaurante. Dinner was tasty and filling, and I look forward to hitting the bunk bed as soon as I´m finished writing. It already served me well for a siesta. Buenos noches!