Saturday, July 30, 2011

La Anatomía del Perro (The Anatomy of a Dog)

Aside from automobiles, there are very few machines in Copan. I don’t know if that’s true in the larger cities of Honduras, but here ditches and post holes are dug by hand using whatever sharp implement is available. A few men have been building a house across from Casa Lorena, and with the exception of a circular saw for cutting floor boards, I have seen nor heard no other power tools. Blocks of stone are chiseled by hand and cement is made with ordinary dirt. The dirt is shoveled through a screen and the sand that passes through is placed in a large pile. A hollow bowl is formed in the pile, and water is poured in – no containers necessary. Then the cement is shoveled into 5 gallon buckets, which are carried on the shoulders of men to wherever it is being used.

Aside from a couple of phone calls home, I am vowing not to use English for the duration of my stay in Honduras, so those of you who don’t habla español, I’ll translate for you later. Lo siento.

(Sorry.)

Anoche, tuve un mal comunicación con el Padre. El esperaba a seis medio, como comprende dijo, pero se rendaba a siete. No tengo se número de teléfono, así no pude el hablar. En vez de, fui a Via Via, un restaurante propie de holandés expats, frecuenté principalmente de las turistas y otra expats. Porque esta, lo he evitado, pero anoche necesitaba salir y parece haber tener buen vive de noche. Es un sitio de abandonados, inclusive de los gatos y los perros de calle. El propietario tiene los perros. Mire una camarera lleno el bol y diste para un perro de calle.

(Tonight, I had a mis-communication with Padre. I was waiting for him at 6:30, but he didn’t come by 7pm. I didn’t have his number, so wasn’t able to call. So instead, I went to Via Via, a restaurant owned by Dutch expats, and frequented primarily by tourists and other expats. Because of this, I had avoided it, but tonight I needed to get out and it seemed they have pretty good night life. It’s a place for outcasts, including the cats and dogs of the street. The proprietor has dogs. I’ve seen a waitress fill a bowl and give it to a street dog.)

El restaurante tuvo música vive – anoche un Hondureño interpretia tal favoritos local como “Everybody Must Get Stoned” y “Yellow Submarine.”

(The restaurant had live music – tonight a Honduran giving his rendition of such local favorites as “Everybody Must Get Stoned” y “Ring of Fire.”)


Despues se senté, un niño tienes circa doce años me acercaste. Me hablaste en español: “Hola. ¿Como esta? Soy José. ¿Cómo se llama?”, pero sabias justamente los parables correcto en inglés: “One fifty.” Me mostraste los pulseras habías tejido en su muñecas. Cuando te mostré interés, abririste su mochila revelar las tablas de escaparate de más pulseras y los pendientes. Quisiste ciento cincuenta Lempiras por una pulsera, pero se ofrecí ciento y aceptaste. Copan tienes mucho semejante niños. Y estaba comprando una muñeca de envoltorio de maíz, una bolsa pequeño de hilo y esta pulsera. En un manera, esta benéficas, como están cosa no necesito y no estaría comprar en un tienda. En un otra manera, no me gusta estar me aprovechas. Algunos de mi amigos quien no hablan espanol, poderian recibir estan como los regalos. José es similar por los perros de calle, y el dio comido.

(After I sat down, a boy of about 12 years approached me. He spoke to me in Spanish: “Hi. How are you? I’m Jose. What’s your name?”, but he spoke just the right words in English: “150.” He showed me the woven bracelets on his arms. When I showed interest, he opened his backpack to reveal display boards of more bracelets and earrings. He wanted 150 Lempiras ($7.50) for a bracelet, but I offered him 100 and he accepted. Copan has many such kids. So far I’ve purchased a corn husk doll, a small yarn purse, and this bracelet. In one way, it’s charity, as I don’t really need these things, and I wouldn’t have bought them otherwise. In another sense, I don’t like to be taken advantage of. Jose is a lot like the street dogs… and I fed him.)


No pude encontrar el turoperador por Esquipulas, Guatemala, cual estuvo mi plan por hoy. Está bien tener un plan segundo. Estoy muy cansado y aburrida de la comida me ha sirviendo, por lo tanto dormía tarde, entonces anduve en las colinas. Cuando vuelte a el centro, comí pizza de Jim’s, y ahora he pasado al rato por el café.

(I wasn’t able to find the tour operator for Esquipulus, Guatemala - the church with the Black Christ, which was my plan for the day. It’s good to have a plan B. I’m very tired, and bored with the food I’ve been served, so I slept late, then walked in the hills. When I returned to the center of town, I ate at Jim’s Pizza, and now am passing the afternoon at a Café.)

En mi paseo esta mañana, encontré el perro más delgado alguna vez he visto. Tuvo apenas fuerza continuar. Necesite el dar de comida. La sola tienda conozco venda comida de los perros estuvo no cerca. Compre pan y leche, y lo di la tercera parte de la barra empapada en leche. Estaba poco tímido, pero comió rápido de mi mano de todos modos. Lo busce luego y lo dar más comida. Espero encontra el camino a Via Via.

(On my walk this morning, I met a dog that was extremely skinny and seemed to be near death. He was almost too weak to continue walking. I simply couldn’t walk away without feeding him. The only store I knew that sold dog food wasn’t nearby. I bought some white bread and milk, and fed him 1/3 of the loaf soaked in milk. At first he was timid, but ate rapidly from my hand anyway. I’ll look for him later and give him the rest of the food. I just hope he finds his way to Via Via.)