Saturday, September 24, 2011

We've Arrived!!

Hola from Santiago!

Proof that we arrived at the Cathedral in Santiago.

We attended the Pilgrim Mass, and indeed the great thurible was swinging!

St. James himself.

Many languages are spoken on The Way. Signs like this are plentiful.




We walked the last 18K this morning, and stopped for lunch as we entered the city. As has been our pattern with cities, we got lost trying to find the Seminary, but we are now safe and sound with beds secured for tonight and tomorrow night. We found the Pilgrim Office, and received our Compostelas. Tomorrow, we'll attend Mass at the Cathedral, and go through the usual rituals of hugging Santiago, praying at his tomb (where I´ll be sure to remember D'Ignacio), and making our way through other meaningful parts of the Cathedral. We're hoping on Monday to take a bus to Finisterra (the end of the earth).

I don´t yet know what my emotions are about having finished this 700K, 31-day pilgrimage. I'll let you know more when they come to me. I'm sure it will be weird to get up in the morning and not have a destination of 25K.

I´m extremely grateful (and know Wendell is too) to Eva and Ellen for supporting us in this adventure, and for putting up with our absence for so long. It has been a very rich time. Love and blessings to both of you, and we´ll (respectively) see you soon.